The Centennial Hall (German: Jahrhunderthalle, Polish: Hala Stulecia or Polish: Hala Ludowa) is a historic building constructed in Wrocław (Breslau) in 1913 when the city was part of the German Empire. It was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2006. Wroclaw is the historical capital of Lower Silesia, situated on the banks of the central course of the Oder River, on the Silesia lowland. It was in Breslau on 10 March 1813 where King Frederick William III of Prussia had first awarded the Iron Cross and called upon the German people in his "Aufruf an mein Volk" to openly resist Napoleon. In October, in the Battle of Leipzig, Napoleon was defeated, but large numbers of Germans fell on both sides, as many had been forced to fight on the French side.
The hall was built in the German Empire in 1911-1913 according to the plans of Max Berg, during preparations for an exhibition commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Battle of the Nations, as it is also called, reminding that most of Europe was involved. The monumental Centennial Hall, with a vast circular central space of 65m diameter and 42m high, is centrally planned building placed in the middle of the Exhibition Grounds, to be found in the north-eastern part of the city. The cupola was made of reinforced concrete and with an inner diameter of 69 m and 42 m high; it was the largest building of its kind at the time of construction. The symmetrical quatrefoil shape with a large circular central space seats 6,000 persons. The dome is 23m high, made of in steel and glass. The Jahrhunderthalle , a name also chosen for halls in Bochum (1902) and Frankfurt (1963) for different anniversaries, had been intended to commemorate a 19th century event, but instead became a key reference for the development of reinforced concrete structures in the a 20th century.
The powerful dome rests on four would bend, which four Apsiden follow. They can be separated at meetings by heavy curtains, with exhibitions become them opened, in order more lights in resound to bring. 32 star shaped gathering ribs close to the dome. The windows stand perpendicularly on concentric rings. Max mountain had insisted on it that the building shows up also outside, “as it of the formwork is taken out “. It justified the decision for concrete in such a way: “after the experiences of the Brussels exhibition for the valuable borrowed articles of the historical exhibition a quite fireproof construction was required. Such could exist only in eisenbeton or in fireproof encased iron”.
After the memorial events, it served as multi-purpose recreational building, situated in the Exhibition Grounds, previously used for horse racing. In 1948, a 100m high needle-like metal sculpture called "Iglica" was set up in front of it. Centennial Hall hosted Euro Basket 1963 and will host a Preliminary round group of the Euro Basket 2009.
The Centennial Hall being one of the most valuable works of the modern architecture is considered to be of a great value multifunctional. This enormous construction, taking a part of the Exibition Grounds, constitute from the beginning of last century an outstanding example of the edifice designed for staging of theatrical productions, concerts, exhibitions and conventions, in order to perform a social function and responding to the needs of broad masses.